WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
- Introduction. This can happen either by phone, videoconference, or at my office in Walnut Creek. The goal is to gather information on specific concerns and determine what the parent's goals for consultation are. I can answer questions about my approach and what the parent can expect from working with me. If the family decides to move forward with my consultation, a secure electronic contract is emailed to them the same day. Introduction usually takes 30 minutes.
- Record Review. Once the contract is signed, the parent collects report cards, student study team (SST) minutes, school reports, previous assessments, and pertinent medical records for me to review (usually electronically). It usually takes me 1-2 hours to review records.
- Observation at School. It’s best if I can observe the student for an hour during their area of most difficulty. The parent typically sends an introductory email to both the school and me to initiate scheduling the observation.
- Consultation. I meet with the parent either in my office or via Zoom to make recommendations on what the student needs, how the parent can work with their school team, and outside supports that can make a difference.
- Ongoing Communication. Throughout the process, the parent can email/call me with updates, questions, concerns.